Isn't that a great title for New Year's Eve? 2017 is on its way out (thank goodness) and 2018 is on its way in.
Also...I'm taking it a bit literally today.
A couple of nights ago I saw an old door advertised on Salida Swap which is basically a local Craig's List. It had a window, peeling paint and measurements that sounded close to my shed door opening. Carlos and I braved the cold and wind and dark to go out and measure and yep! Close enough.
Now normally I wouldn't say "close enough" is a positive thing for doors and door openings but in this case, it was ok. There was a door on the shed already- or remains of a door- and it didn't fit the opening. There really weren't door jambs or a threshold soooo.....close enough was about as good as I could get. Besides, the shed leans. Nothing is level. I wasn't looking for perfection, just a way to keep the bears from shacking up inside.
The old door in all its glory.
It was an INTERIOR hollow door.
WHY would someone put this on an outdoor shed?
The hinges were NAILED on.
I didn't even know what I was doing and did a better job than this.
Twenty bucks later I had a door.
This morning was unseasonably warm so I headed out to hang that new/old door. Getting the old door off wasn't too big of a problem since there was only one hinge left holding it on. I broke that one hinge and ended up taking the hammer and pliers to the remains to get them off.
What was the thinking behind this hinge application???
Looks like this door may have actually hung inside somewhere and is now upside down.
Or maybe there is just a little door sign holder nailed on the bottom for fun.
Then I discovered I was incapable of simultaneously holding the door in place and measuring/applying the hinges.
But! I have a great neighbor behind me and I gave her a call. Beverly came over with gloves and a latch and lots of enthusiasm. She also brought a bit of knowledge with her... thank goodness. I was clueless.
Beverly hiding a bit from the camera.
Could NOT have gotten the door hung without two extra hands.
We started with the middle hinge. Realized it was scraping at the bottom because of the slant of the shed. Moved the middle hinge up. And guess what? From there it was smooth sailing. (Except I kept dropping the screws so there were a few runs into the house, down into the basement, a grab for more screws, and then back out to the front. Details.)
Beverly's latch wouldn't work but I'm sure a nice hook and eye will keep things closed. For now the door is being held closed by the same thing that has kept it closed for the last eight years: a dented bucket full of concrete.
And best of all? From the house, the shed looks so much friendlier with that once-painted white door with the window.
The newly hung door.
Ignore the gap at the bottom.
And the top.
Also ignore the concrete bucket closure.
THAT will be fixed.
And out with the old year full of way too many changes and challenges and in with a year that hopefully will be joyful and stable.
(A recap of some of the highs and lows of last year here, and here, and here and here and especially here. If you need the reason I write this blog, click here.)
I'm willing to allow myself plenty of "close enoughs' this year as long as things work and make me happy.
And hopefully 2018 will bring joy and security to us all.
Not just my shed.
Happy New Year!