03 March 2014

No. 39: Grow a Vegetable

No. 39: Grow a Vegetable.

Ok. This one sounds easy enough.

I was looking through the list trying to find a challenge I could get started on.

Some are seasonal, some are specific to different locales, some require the opportunity to present itself.

But growing a vegetable just requires a window sill. At least for now.



Yep, this is what I'm going to grow.

At the local Wal Mart today I made the mistake of asking a nice gentleman when was a good time to plant things in this area.

Note to self: Next time you think about speaking to strangers, do a sniff test to see if you can discern the alcohol on their breath before you jump in with questions.

My adviser's lunch apparently.

I did manage to find someone knowledgable who did explain quite a bit about planting.
More than I really wanted to know, in fact.
I learned about Soil Block Makers and specifically how many of these delightful items this gentleman owned. And I learned about the 4" press that is coming in the mail next month to his house.  And I met his wife. And I learned what he was going to be planting. And that I should plant by the moon. (Moon phases, not moon light.)
And I deduced that he had maybe 2 or 12 beers for lunch before heading out to Wal Mart.

A soil blocker for seedlings. 
I do not have one.
Nor do I plan to get one.
But I have been schooled on what to do with one. 

Once I managed to escape his clutches informative monologue I skedaddled down to the seed aisle and buried my head deep into the seed packets.


Growing some of these, too.


On the next aisle over I heard the nice man giving an unsuspecting couple a long winded oration over Diatomaceous earth. Lucky them.

Anyway, I picked up some seed packets for tomatoes and peppers. Certainly these are veggies I can handle.


Cross your fingers.


They need to be started indoors for six to eight weeks before they can go outside.

Rather than make my own soil blocks I went with Wal Mart's Seed Starter kit and some starting soil.
Sorry, sir, your speech was inspiring but I'm just not that into this project yet.
Baby steps.

Let's see how I do….
………….and………...

If you read last week's post, then you know we have baby chicks.

I am happy to report they are all four still alive and growing. 
Carlos is still afraid of them.

Proof:


Franklin, Juan, Pablo, and Steve.
I did not name them.
And they are supposed to be all girls. 


This really is turning into Green Acres.
(Some of our other Green Acres moments here and here.)

2 comments:

Bernard Boyd said...

I wish for the great of success in all of our destiny endeavors

Rohail Memon said...

Bill
Continue the good work; keep posting more n more n more.