12 February 2014

A Little Chemistry...




Chemistry Class: The kind you can pass.


I've been slacking on the challenges.  O well.
They'll get done.

I've actually been chatting with my friend, Cherrilla, about No. 10: Start a business that makes money.
But that's as far as we've gotten.

And I believe brunch is on the menu during a late March trip to New Orleans. That's No. 21: Go to brunch.

At least there is some planning going on.

But this post is about chemistry.  Timely since I have just come from parent/teacher conferences and one of the girlies (who shall remain unnamed) apparently is not doing too well in Chemistry. Hmmmm.

Except I'm talking about FUN chemistry here, not the kind with equations.
The kind of chemistry that ends up with something yummy to eat.

Because really that's all baking is, just chemistry.

And I love to bake.

Yesterday I cleaned out the fridge and realized there were some very overripe bananas in there.
So of course I had to make banana bread.

Here's the cast of characters for the bread:


See? Those are really ripe bananas.

Except the recipe calls for two eggs and I only had one. So I had to stop everything and drive 20 miles to the grocery store for eggs. And 20 miles back.

Then I made a huge mess in the kitchen because that's just how I roll.

A little blurry, a little messy. 
But the results are worth it.

And then I ended up with this:


                      
Not a food photographer, I confess. 
But the counter is clean and the banana bread is yummy.

This is the best, most moist banana bread ever.  
At least in Texas it is. 
Since I'm in Colorado above 7000 feet I still need to figure out the secrets to high altitude baking. With this recipe I've been adding 1/2 an egg more and that seems to help. 

So here we go:    
Best Banana Bread

Ingredients:
2 cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
8 Tablespoons butter softened. (That's one whole stick of butter. A quarter of a pound. Yum.)
1 cup sugar
2 eggs  (or 2 1/2 eggs if you are doing the high altitude thing)
1 cup ripe mashed bananas (about 2 large ones)
1/3 cup milk
1 tsp. lemon juice
1 cup walnuts

Preheat the oven to 350°.

Sift the flour, baking soda and salt together. (Or do what I do, stir them up a bit and call it a day.)
Set aside.

Cream the butter and sugar together.
Add eggs and bananas to the butter mixture.  Blend thoroughly.

In a separate bowl (ok, this recipe does use a lot of bowls) combine the milk and lemon juice. 

Starting and ending with the dry ingredients, alternately blend the dry mix and the milk mix into the banana mix. 

Throw in the cup of walnuts. 

Mix up all the mixes. 

Pour it all into a lavishly buttered 9x5 loaf pan. 

Bake for one hour. 

Yum. 

You're welcome. 

And for your entertainment, a Vine starring this very same banana bread being made in Texas.



          

If you are curious about the differences between my Texas kitchen and my Colorado kitchen, click  here for that post.

And if you have any suggestions for high altitude baking, please let me know.

No comments: