22 July 2013

No. 60: Hit Five Restaurants in Houston that I Have Never Been to Before

No. 60:  Five Restaurants in Houston.  Restaurant No. 5

Restaurant No. 5 was Mel's Country Cafe in Tomball, Texas.

Talk about getting out of our comfort zone.  Not only did we get away from our little area, we completely by-passed Houston and went on to Tomball for lunch.  The hubs and his sister Sue were complaining the entire 45 minutes it took to get there.

The other sister, Barbi, is the one that came up with Mel's for a lunch date. Barbi is a great planner and thinks nothing of driving to the next town or state if fun, excitement or good food is involved. She's my kind of gal!

The occasion was sister Sue's visit from Arlington.


Mel's Country Cafe

Mel's is known for its hamburgers.  The chicken fried steak is supposed to be pretty good, too.  Nobody at our table had the special Mel's burger but the table next to us did. It was gorgeous. And a mouthful. Or three. 
Here's a picture of the Mel burger:

The standard Mel Burger
Isn't that a thing of beauty?


And because some people complained that the Mel Burger wasn't really ENOUGH food, Mel's Mega Burger was invented.

Here's the Mega Mel:
*
The Mega Mel
Yes, everything is bigger in Texas.

The Mega Mel is, according to the menu, 1 1/2 pounds of fresh ground beef, one pound of bacon, 1/4 pound of cheese and lots and lots of lettuce, tomatoes and pickles. It stands 14 inches high. If you eat the whole thing in less than two hours you can get your name on Mel's Wall of Fame.  Our waiter told us of a thirteen year old girl who finished a Mega Mel in 17 minutes, then rode her bike home after. Amazing.

No one at our table had a Mega Mel either.

But we had wonderful hamburgers and chicken fried steak ( it was okay- not outstanding- according to the hubs) and I had the grilled chicken sandwich with chipotle mayo. Plus Tater Tots since I was feeling a bit decadent.


Grilled chicken with pepper jack cheese, jalapeño bun and chipotle mayo.
Because if you are going to drive 45 minutes to eat, you might as well make it worth your while!

And then because it was a big family get together, we shared a bunch of desserts. There was Banana Pudding.  Chocolate cake.  And I had Chocolate Bourbon Pecan Pie. Ala mode. 
Seriously. 

I meant to take a picture.
But I forgot in the midst of the feeding frenzy.

And lest Weight Watchers comes knocking on my door, I will confess. I did not eat dinner that night. Nor did I eat breakfast the next morning. In fact I ate only one meal the NEXT day because I was still so stuffed from Mel's.  

So Restaurant No. 5 is done.  Come to think of it, I was pretty done myself. 
Stick a fork in me. 

For the first four restaurants click here, here, here and here.


(O! And I forgot to add. Sister Sue and the hubs both agreed after the fact that it was worth the drive.)
1 pound of bacon
For the first 
.25 pound of American cheese
lots, lots of lettuce, tomatoes, onions & pickles Mega Mel Burger
1.5 pounds of fresh ground 
1 pound of bacon
.25 pound of American cheese
lots, lots of lettuce, tomatoes, onions & pickles



No comments: