22 April 2013

No. 60: Hit five restaurants in Houston that I have never been to before

No. 60: Hit five restaurants in Houston that I have never been to before.
Restaurant No. 2: El Patio

Saturday night was an adventure of a different sort. At the suggestion of some enterprising friends, we went to Worldfest-Houston, the international film and video festival.  This meant we had to actually drive into Houston.


Friends on the Red Carpet!

Our targeted movie was "Gringos at the Gate", a documentary on the rivalry between Mexico and the USA on the soccer pitch.
We were on time but the movies were running late so we also caught a short (silent and violent) film called "Mr. Smith and Mrs. Wesson".

I loved seeing movies made by people, not huge studios. There was a bit of the home-made project about them but the quality was still very high.

We have a neighbor down the street that produces movies and the daughters have appeared as extras in one short film. (Watch it here.) I was privileged  enough to watch them shoot and was amazed to see that a two minute scene required more than five hours of filming. This neighbor has another film in post-production that the girls and I are all in and we can't wait to see the final results.
(Or see if we are on the cutting room floor instead of the opening scene.)

After a movie featuring Mexico we were all craving a bit of Tex-Mex food.  Instead of a big chain Mexican restaurant we went to a Houston institution- El Patio and Club No Minor.  This is right around the corner from where I grew up and even though I have been there many times before, I certainly have not been there in 25 years. Or more.
And guess what?
I don't think it has changed one bit in the last 30 years, or even 40 years.  Decor looked pretty much the same. Exterior looked the same. The menu looked pretty much the same. Ok, I imagine the prices have changed.

Yep, pretty much the same ol', same ol'.

So it wasn't a new restaurant to me...but it was out of our 5 mile radius and a place I certainly hadn't been to in a while.
And the Tex-Mex was yummy.
So I'm willing to count it!



1 comment:

Diana @ Your Day Simplified said...

Awesome job getting the hubby out of the usual comfort zone! I'm sure that happens to a lot of people. They just want to stay in their familiar rut so kudos to you!