04 January 2018

New Year, New Plan

New Year, New Plan....

I'm not a big fan of New Year resolutions because, honestly, they never get kept.

And I'm even less a fan of setting myself up for failure.

But after seeing this copy of Woody Guthrie's 1943 "New Year's Rulins" I felt I could at least come up with some guidelines if not actual resolutions. He seems to have a handle on how start a new year.




So here goes:

1. Less sitting, more walking.  Work has too much sitting, but work also has a walking track around it.  Problem meet solution.
I'm fortunate to live in a place with so many walking trails in town. 
And even more out of town. 
Guess there's a reason Vogue magazine has listed 

2. Less social media, more socializing.   Visit with more people than screens. This goes along with No. 46 on the list: Have a dinner party. I like the concept of a "crappy dinner party" where the emphasis is on visiting and enjoying everyone's company rather than impersonating Martha Stewart. (Face it, Martha has a slew of helpers to pull off her magical events. The rest of us don't.)

Enamel plates make for easy clean up.
And they are fun!

3. More fruits and veggies, less bread and butter.  This one will be a challenge. It may have to be more fruits and veggies and the same amount of bread and butter.  That would at least be an improvement, right?   (Woody's No. 6 basically.)

4. Less mindless TV watching, more reading.   The TV is background noise that sucks me in.
Although when it is below freezing and dark outside, it's nice to have a little background noise.
(Just finished When Breath Becomes Air by Paul Kalanithi. Contemplative and sad.)

5. More color.   Look at this closet. You would think I'm in mourning. Actually I just like black and gray  but ...but... some days a little more color would be nice.

One wine sweater and a denim shirt and a LOT of black, white and gray.
The plan is to do better for Spring. 


6. Write more.   I used to be very faithful about blogging twice a week.  I miss that routine.  Working will probably make the twice a week schedule difficult, but once a week should be manageable.  Let's see.

Inspiration abounds!

O! And one more....
"Dream good."  I like that one.


Happy new beginnings.

No comments: