22 January 2018

Monday at 8:29pm

Monday, 8:29pm

Well, the plan was to do a post on finding my voice, on learning to speak up for myself, on making myself heard. And I can hear the moans from my mother, among others...."O Lord, that girl does NOT need to find her voice."  But. But. I guess I really could not find my voice. Or find the right way to get the words on paper so they made sense and made a point.

Because it is something I am working on. I've been told more than once recently that I am "too nice". I've caught myself smiling and nodding when my brain is thinking "Hell, no! You did NOT just say what I think you did."   Part of that is being at work where I am paid (meagerly, but paid none the less) to be the smiling face at the door that greets people. Part of that is my nature. And I have realized recently that a lot of it is how I was raised. Not to say I was raised meek, but more raised in the ways of the times.

Me. On my birthday.
Smiling and greeting all the patients. 
And being agreeable. 
Even to the jerks.


Of course I also believe I am extremely independent and a decent writer and very capable and also very tall.   Some of the above facts are not actually true. They are "alternative facts."   That's ok. Apparently alternative facts are just as good as real ones these days.

So...instead of writing about how I haven't found my voice but am trying to, I will update you on my most recent project: Painting the vanity and mirror.

It was going to be a charcoal gray to complement the light gray bed. Then Neighbor Sue mentioned how much she liked the original color and how well it went with the gray. And Neighbor Sue is the Queen of Color. Mostly PINK!  That got me to thinking. The teal is really pretty and one of my favorite colors. It plays nicely with the gray and would be happy with some pink and navy thrown in.

The starting point which is going to be pretty similar to the ending point. 
Only better. 

An almost identical teal was found at Lowe's. The mirror has been painted and the first coat of wax applied. The top layer of wax will be darker to bring out the grooves of the wood.
The plan is to paint the wall behind the bed navy. Friend Liddy's suggestion. (This is decorating by sorority. A sorority with no dues. Ha! As if.)   That should make the light gray bed pop.


Imagine the wall behind the bed is navy. 
Pretty, yes? 

Hey! The whole room might get painted navy. It's a big space with maybe enough light to pull it off.
Anyway, I'm painting away IN  THE BEDROOM because the basement is just too chilly. Drop cloths have been strategically placed over the carpet and running up one wall. Paint is applied with care.

Then.

I learned a lesson.

If you are going hold the paint can, make sure you have a really good grip on it.

Otherwise, this happens:

 Yep. 
That's a stripe of teal paint on the wall, the wall heater, the drop cloth.
And a puddle of paint on top of the vanity. 
 But not on the carpet.


The paint can slipped from my hand, dropping straight down about 10" to  the top of the vanity. And splashed. All the way over to the wall.  The vanity top now has a fairly heavy coat of paint on it. And the wall will definitely be painted navy sooner rather than later. Miraculously the carpet is still beige.


In spite of my carelessness, the painting is coming along nicely.

Soooo, even though that was a big mishap and now there's a great big line down the wall, it got me to thinking.   Can't find my voice, but I can give some solid advice:
Hold on tight.
Take that as you wish.


••••••••••••••

I also spent the morning/ day trying to get tickets to see Hamilton in Denver. I followed all of the rules, logging in at 9:00am to get in line in the virtual waiting room. At 10:00am I was given the number in line of 71,415. Googling the number of seats in the theater, multiplying that by the number of days the show would be running and well....there would be no tickets for me. Determined to hang in there, I switched from the big computer to the iPad and somehow lowered my number in line to 27,271. That sounded possible. Maybe some people would give up. Or miss their spot, as once your number came up, there was a 15 minute window to order tickets.  But no.
Instead I got this:





It's definitely been a Monday.  Maybe I should just call it a day and go on to bed. 










No comments: