06 November 2017

The awesomeness of randomness...

The awesomeness of randomness amazes me.


I've talked before about random acts of kindness. I thoroughly support surprising strangers (and friends) with little treats, compliments, and or thoughtful gestures.

 Driving through the Sugar Land McDonalds
and spreading some cheer. 

But today I'm thinking about random occurrences that turn into "something".  That mean something or delight or add to life.

A few years ago I ran into a girl from high school that I knew back then but wasn't close friends with. I would say we reconnected but seriously, we weren't that connected in the first place. But a friendship grew from that random meeting. Actually a few friends and acquaintances have come back into my life after an absence of 30 or more years and they are the best, most meaningful relationships.  A shared background along with the wisdom of years makes for a really great connection. Yay for those random reunions.

One of my most favorite, most random evenings was last year. Friend Diana treated me to an early birthday dinner in downtown Denver. We parked in a convenient spot and walked about six blocks to the restaurant. In that six blocks we encountered more fun, more surprise, more delight than you can imagine. TWO Tyrannosaurus Rexes, a FLEET of Lamborghinis AND fireworks. Seriously. In just one little evening stroll.

Maybe six or seven years ago I woke up one morning and thought "Wow. Belle is driving and Bunny is in Middle School and maybe I would like a job." About an hour later I logged onto Facebook where my niece had just posted that her acupuncturist needed a receptionist. Random.  Gee. I could probably do that. And I did.

Me with the amazing boss and acupuncturist Sonya


Last January, after having been out of work a while, I once again thought "Hmmm. I need a part time job." I logged onto Craig's List and there was a posting for a receptionist at a psychologist's office. Gee. I could probably do that. And I did. Although when I applied there was a mix up with my emails and I missed my first interview appointment and then when I did actually interview I was told that the position had been offered to someone else and they were still thinking about it. Random. But I still did the  interview and the other person decided to do something else and I got the job after all.

Which leads me to being in Colorado and thinking "Whoa! I NEED a job. That has benefits. And pays. And is full time."   And there was an ad in the paper looking for a receptionist for a cardiologist that offered benefits and a salary.  And that's where I work now. Each little random occurrence built off the previous random occurrence.

And that brings me to this past few weeks of randomness that I have just loved.

While I was watching TV one night I got a text.

"Lets go Yankees!!!!"

From a number I didn't recognize. I don't think I know any Yankee fans. And I certainly didn't know any Tonys on the East Coast.  I considered being polite and replying "Wrong number." but instead decided to have some fun.




Tony may have had a few drinks already as he then confused me with Sam.

So I confessed to being a little old lady in Colorado and an Astro fan.

And he proceeded to keep me updated on the game through the night.



What a good sport.

Once it got interesting I tried to find the game on TV but no luck.

Instead I got a play by play by text from across the country.

Bunny said that was creepy and I shouldn't text him back.


But you know what? He seemed like a nice guy and obviously he loves baseball and why not?

I left him alone for the first game of the series. And the Astros lost.

So, being a tiny bit superstitious, I texted him during the second game. And he replied and we texted back and forth and O my goodness! That game 2 was the most exciting thing ever.



Every game that one of us sent a text to the other, the Astros won. The games that we didn't text, they lost. 




By the end of the Series I was apologizing but adamant that I needed to hear from him to make sure we won.



And the Astros won! Their first World Series ever. Such an exciting last game, such an exciting series and -to top it all off- the most marvelous marriage proposal at the very end.




And I told Tony he wouldn't have to hear from me again. Except maybe next year. I got no reply.
Until the next morning.


Ha. We shall see.

So.

Embrace the random occurrences in your life.  You never know what will come of them.
And go treat the person behind you in the drive through to their breakfast/lunch/dinner. Because we are entering the holiday season and we all need something to be grateful for.

No comments: