15 July 2013

No. 49:Make a New Friend and Another No. 42: Do a Charity Walk

No. 42 Redux: Do a Charity Walk    +
No. 49: Make a new friend

Back in May I did my first ever Charity Walk benefiting The One Fund Boston. One Fund is helping all of the survivors of the Boston Marathon bombing.


I had a great time and raised money for a good cause plus knocked a challenge off my list.

So I should be done with charity walks, right?

Well, not so fast.

As I mentioned before, the girls and I are relocating to our Colorado house for the fall semester of school.  I'm calling it No. 20 Lite:Move.

Home come August


Part of my concern with this move is that while my girls know lots of kids in our little town, I do not.
I am going to have to make some new friends.
That's where No. 49 comes in: Make a new friend.

 I figure the best way to get out and meet people is to volunteer.  Which brings us to No. 42 again....do a charity walk.

I'm on the mailing list for the local pet store in Salida and this week's email brought notice of a Salida K-9 Cancer Walk.



And that brings us to Jake:


Jake at ten weeks surrounded by small children.
When he died he was surrounded by the same children.

This tiny little furball turned into the most beautiful and intelligent Golden Retriever.


Jake all grown up

And when this fabulous dog turned six, he got bone cancer.  Cancer in Golden Retrievers is very common, so common that ONE OUT OF TWO Golden's will come down with cancer in their lives.  Those are pretty crappy odds if you are a Golden Retriever.  Cancer is the leading cause of death for this breed.

Jake had his leg amputated in an attempt to rid him of his cancer. It only bought us some time. He lived another 11 months before the cancer snapped his other back leg and we had to put him down.


Jake as a Tri-Pawd

So on September 7, Carlos and I will be walking for two purposes. Maybe we will make some new friends.  And hopefully we will help raise some money to fight Canine Cancer. 


My walking partner

If you feel like helping us, click here to donate.


If you want more information, here are some links:

Golden Retriever Cancer Study info, click here.

Info on the Morris Animal Foundation, click here.

More on Tri-Pawds, click here.



1 comment:

pam {simple details} said...

So sad reading about your beautiful Jake. I knew Goldens were more susceptible to cancer, but had no idea the odds. Our Rio is five, can't imagine life without her. Hopefully it holds true that people are like their dogs and you'll meet many friendly people! :)