22 September 2020

Two Fabulous Asheville Experiences

 Two Fabulous Asheville Experiences, Nos. 77 and 97 Embellished



No. 77: Continuing Education: Take a class.  I did! Online for the first time and I loved it.

No. 97: Go to a Historical House or Two.  I think the Biltmore Estate qualifies.


First for No. 77, Libby and I signed up for a "Painting with Scissors" class online for Saturday afternoon. A one hour class that followed Henri Matisse's method for cutting and pasting and creating. He did marvelous collages with painted papers. Here's the link for the class if you are interested.

We had our computers out, papers on the table and followed instructions. At the end I thought it most interesting to see our different approaches to the same class. I was so inspired and could imagine the hills around Asheville being rendered in painted paper. Gouache paints were ordered so I could paint my own papers and I've signed up for Skillshare so I can take some Gouache painting classes. I had never done an online class before but now I'm hooked. 

iPad signed in to the class and I am 
totally engrossed.

Part of the process involved copying the inspiration for Matisse's works.

My aerial artist came out Blue!

In the end, the circus performers became Basketball players.

Poor Libby. We made a mess on the floor.

Sometimes the creative process requires a lot of space... and a broom.

It was so interesting to see how we each interpreted the same instructions. 

My flora and fauna became an aquarium....

While Libby's flora became FLOWERS!

One of the mountain pics I took became the inspiration for a parting collage gift.

Reality....

...Versus "artistic license"

I think this will be my new art project, once I tidy up a few other aspects of my life. 


Then on Monday, for No. 97,  I spent a half day at the Biltmore Estate which is a HUGE property amazingly tucked right inside Asheville. (At least that's how it seemed to me although I'm not 100% sure of my geography. )

Just a tiny little country home....

The property is fabulous. The landscape was done by Frederick Law Olmstead and while the approach to the main house is only 3 miles it takes about 20 minutes to make the drive. He purposely limited views and made you wind through the scenery to build your anticipation of this amazing house.  And house is such a insufficient word. Mansion? That's closer. Estate. That's it.

It was a drizzle-y day, overcast with intermittent rains when I went. Never the less, the grounds were stellar.  After a quick walk from the parking lot, a  double stairway appears that gives you the grand view of the house along with a grand approach. Timed tickets were required and of course I was running behind. (Google maps sent me into a lovely neighborhood and a kind gentleman gave me instructions on how to actually get to the Biltmore...says he redirects people almost daily. No matter. The drive through the neighborhood was worth it.) 

Anyway, the house. A brief history and if you want to learn more, click here.  Started in 1889, the house was built by George Washington Vanderbilt III as his "country home". A 250 room country home with indoor pool, gym, library, and 35 bedrooms. An entire town of craftsmen were hired to create the gorgeous woodwork and exquisite details throughout the house.  It took 6 years to complete and hosted its first guests on Christmas Eve 1895.  George was a bachelor when he built the house but eventually married and raised his only daughter there.  The largest house built in the United States is now run by heirs of George Vanderbilt III and run quite well. There are restaurants, a hotel, many gift shops and a winery all bringing in money to support the preservation of this grand home.

This (empty) pool. Sigh. 
Wooden rails and steps. 

And bless the pandemic. Visitors were strictly limited in each room so as I walked through the house there were never more than 6-8 people in one space. We could linger as long as we wanted and it was delightful to be able to admire the rooms without having to look over someone's shoulder. 

The oak sitting room 
(As opposed to the gazillion other sitting rooms) 

My favorite part of viewing old houses is seeing the servant's areas. Unfortunately, the servant bedrooms were blocked off because of too tight quarters but it always amazes me to see the huge kitchens, laundries, and back stairways that kept life as they (the Vanderbilts) knew it going along smoothly.

Someone in the kitchen had to polish all that copper...

The Albrecht Dürer woodblock prints over the fireplace were my favorites. One hundred ninety two separate  printed blocks.


The Triumphal Arch of Maximillian by Albrecht Dürer

After an hour or so in the house I wandered out to the gardens. Since it was sprinkling, I headed straight to the conservatory.  Add "conservatory" to my goals list. O.M.G.  That place was amazing. And the orchids!! Plants and flowers and orchids, oh my!  

                     

Look at this begonia...

...and these orchids!

From inside the conservatory.

It was all amazing. A step back in time. If you go to Asheville, the Biltmore Estate is a must see. 

The surprising part? My flight was in the afternoon and I left about 30 minutes to exit the property from the parking lot. After all, that's how long it took me to get from the main road to the house. Ha! That Olmstead. It took me all of 10 minutes to leave. 

And there's the complete Asheville report from me. 

Every one stay safe, wash your hands, wear your masks and VOTE!





No comments: