24 December 2014

Twas the Night Before Christmas in Texas....

Twas the night before Christmas and all through the villa, 
Not a creature was stirring, not even the chinchilla.
The stockings were hung by the chimney with abandon, 
With hopes that "Santa" would soon be landin'.

The teens were lumped up snug in their beds
While visions of Kate Spade danced in their heads...
And I in my sleep mask, the hubs in his shorts
Had just settled in for a few snores and snorts.

When from up above there arose such a boom
O wait! That's just music coming from Boy's room.
Away to the stairs, yelling up to the top,
"We're trying to sleep! Please, please stop."

Outside, the moon shone on new fallen leaves, 
Filling the pool, the gutters, even the eaves.
And what to my wondering eyes should appear 
But the neighbors cats and our two fluffy dears. 

With a swish of the broom and a cry of Scat
I tried to round up our two darling brats.

In Mina, in Marley.
Come into the kitchen.
Scoot Tabby, 
Scoot Flabby! 
To the top of the fence and slipping away
Back where you came from, you wandering strays.

And then in a twinkling I heard the pipes shudder,
Someone was up, probably the brother. 
I gave up on sleep and turning around, 
Down the chimney came Saint Nicholas with a bound. 

O wait! I was dreaming!  But I went straight to work,
Filling the stockings yanked from the mantel with a frustrated jerk. 
Then running my fingers through the hair on my head, 
I shuffled myself back off to bed.

In the morning there will be presents and food galore,
The kids will exclaim "More, please! More! More!"

But for now it's quiet and all is just right.
Merry Christmas to all and to all a good night. 

(My apologies to Clement C. Moore. 
I hope you have a wonderful holiday. )









No comments: