16 June 2014

No. 39: Grow a vegetable from scratch

No. 39: Grow a Vegetable from Scratch: Update


Back in March, I planted some seeds in hopes of getting a jump on No. 39: Grow a Vegetable from Scratch.

I planted tomatoes and peppers and had high hopes. 


Bah humbug.

After three months, you want to see what those seeds look like?  Three months of love and care and water and attention...

and this is what I've got:

Tomatoes on the left, peppers on the right.
This picture was taken last week. 

THREE MONTHS and this is it. 

I am such a bad mother.   I have such underachieving seeds.   It's embarrassing.

I gave up and threw them out with the rest of the plants in the big gardens.  They will either shrivel up and die a quick yet painful death or get with the program and flourish. No more coddling for these babies.   (I'm kind of getting that attitude towards my actual kids now, also, but that's a different post.) 

And out in the big gardens, what is going on?



Scary looking, yes? 

This plant popped up with these amazing buds/pods. I did not plant it, it's a volunteer. I've been told it's a poppy.  We'll see. I think those pods are people replacements.  If the girls start acting strange, I'll know I was right.   O wait.  I probably won't be able to tell if they are acting strange....


My only hope right now for a veggie from scratch is this lone pea blossom.

There are quite a few of these Dwarf Gray Sugar Pea plants but only one is blooming.


One blossom which I presume will result in one pea pod. And I won't even be here to see it most likely. Or water it. Which makes me think it won't make it either.  But I will have my neighbor check on it and report back. Cross your fingers. 

Once I get back to Texas I think I will just go buy a tomato plant. 
Will that count? 

No comments: