07 January 2013

No. 23: Update: TV or not TV

No. 23: Get Cable TV

O, this one sounded so easy. 


Call a company, installer comes out- Voila! - the magic of quality TV appears in my living room.


After my saga of ten hours of "installing" (click here for Part 1) on last Monday, I had high hopes that the Friday install would go better. 

Last Monday's results. 
Cable running to a box. On the ground. 
Not good.

My installer was set to come between 12:00 noon and 4:00pm on Friday. I was home at 11:30am.

He showed up at 5:30pm.


He finished right at 10:00pm.


Do the math. This means I spent TWENTY hours at my house waiting for cable installation. 

Look! Cable that goes somewhere!
Like- INTO our house.

But Saturday morning we had magical new TV to watch. I went to work at 9:00am and my husband was on the couch watching Ice Road Truckers.  I came home at 1:00pm and - you guessed it!- my husband was still on the couch watching Ice Road Truckers.  


Did you know Ice Road Truckers was on almost all day on Saturday?  Do  you know how much I was regretting this decision to allow cable into my house? 

Then the hubby discovered Gold Rush.    I discovered a desire to run away.


Sunday morning my prayers were (briefly) answered. After having cable in the house for not quite 36 hours, it all went out. Three TVs flashing "no signal". We googled. We adjusted. We woke sleeping teenagers for assistance.  Finally I called Tech Support. 

Tech Support was very nice. After one hour on the phone, all of my TV's were working again.   (And hubby discovered Gator Boys.)





So in one week I spent about 22 hours in the process of acquiring and maintaining this new cable service for magical, quality TV.

And what did I watch on TV yesterday? Downton Abbey. On PBS. A channel I received just fine with  my bunny ear antennas.





Sigh.







4 comments:

Diana @ Your Day Simplified said...

Oh boy! You need me to teach you about all the finer things that come with cable TV such as New Jersey Housewives, Atlanta Housewives, Kim, Khloe & Kourtney & of course the very sappy Hallmark channel.

Nancie N Bartley said...

Are those shows part of the magical, quality programming I was hoping for??
And-in the daddy's defense- he did get up and vacuum and empty the dishwasher between 9a and 1p. Not the entire day spent watching TV.

pam {simple details} said...

Good luck - the men in my house like those along with Pawn Stars! Thye're all on ALL the time???

Nancie N Bartley said...

O Pam, Noooo!
Although I do admit my living room has seen more use in the past week than it has in 13 years. But that also means I have lost my quiet reading spot.
And my daughters have informed me that we got the "poor people's" cable package as one of the channels they wanted is not available. Just can't please all the people all the time.
And thank you for reading my little blog. Always a surprise when someone comments!!!