24 October 2016

Three for Sixty Three

Three for No. Sixty Three: The Oxford, Mississippi Edition


Last weekend I went to Oxford, Mississippi, home of the University of Mississippi and Miss Bunny.
It was the end of Greek Rush and my intent was to be there for the joyful reveal of Bunny's new Greek home.

HA!

Bunny, in the gray tank, waving and smiling, 
right before her hopes and dreams were shattered. 

Not how it turned out at all. Instead, Bunny was horribly horribly disappointed and heart broken (which in turn meant I was horribly horribly heart broken for my baby girl) and we ate our way through the remaining portion of my visit in order to soothe our shattered psyches.

But at least I got in three new restaurants. (Always a silver lining!)

Sunday night when we were totally in the depths of despair, we went to The Oxford Grillehouse. On the square in downtown Oxford, with cloth napkins, it was our fancy shmancy comfort meal.
I neglected to get pictures of my food but here's one from their website. Bunny and I both had the filet mignon. O. My. Goodness. Like buttah.

Pretend this was mine...soooooo yummy. 
Photo from Oxford Grillehouse website. 


I don't eat a lot of steak and I sure don't cook it anymore- mainly because it always ends up tough or under done for the "please burn it" crew or overdone for me. But this. This steak was to die for. Thick, perfectly cooked and tender as a newborn baby. (Not that I eat newborn babies, but, you know.)   Bunny was on a carb loading bender and had a baked potato PLUS French Fries with her dinner. I opted for a slightly healthier salad with asparagus as my side. Not a cheap meal...we came in right at $100 bucks for the two of us, but we had planned to celebrate and since there was nothing to celebrate, we commiserated instead. In style.


Monday morning, well, teenage morning which was closer to noon, found us at Big Bad Breakfast.
Tucked away in a strip center in an out of the way part of Oxford, this tiny place promised to start our day off right. And it did. Eggs Benedict for me (The Pel-Egg-Can Brief on the menu) and a Big Bad Breakfast Plate for Bunny.


Not my photo, but this was my breakfast.
Photo from Trip Advisor/BBB. 

 The Tabasco brown sugar bacon was sweet and spicy at the same time and sinfully thick cut.  Eggs were perfectly done. The orange juice was fresh squeezed. We were happy. So happy Bunny required a T-shirt to commemorate the meal.

Bunny and friends-
she is sporting her new T.

Monday evening, after a day spent in the dorm laundry room and then the Oxford laundromat, we had sufficiently recovered our appetites to head to South Depot Taco Shop. I know, I know. HOW could we eat anything more at this point? It was a challenge but we persevered. Also on the Square, it was set up like every other burrito/taco shop out there.  We got in line, specified our choice of flour or corn tortillas and then picked our ingredients for fillings. I had tacos, Bunny went for the burrito.  Of course I had to try the chips and queso AND the guacamole. The first two got my approval. I'm pretty picky about guac and this was a little bland for my taste. But FRESH! So brownie points for that.

Chicken taco with salsa verde.
Yum.

I waddled onto the plane on Tuesday, easily a few pounds heavier.  The trip did not turn out as I had planned, but we did enjoy our meals.  And I must say, for a small town, Oxford does not disappoint in the restaurant department. Just don't expect anything diet.  THAT doesn't seem to exist there.

Not that I was complaining.

Plus I did get to add three more restaurants to No. 63: Try at least 12 new restaurants in 2016.






No comments: