24 November 2013

As Promised- A Recipe

Rustic Apple Pie: My recipe as promised.

I promised last week that I would share my Rustic Apple Pie recipe.

And since Thanksgiving is just a few days away, I figured I better get with it and post this recipe.

It's a super easy recipe and very cute when done.

Preheat the oven to 375º.

The cast of characters:


One refrigerated pie crust- I use Pillsbury.
(If you are one of those talented people that can actually make an edible pie crust- go for it. 
I'm not.)
About 10-12 Vanilla Wafer cookies.
3 to 4 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, and sliced thin.
1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 cup flour
2 Tbsp. butter, cut into small pieces.


And the instructions:


Peel, core and slice the apples.  Make your slices pretty thin.

Put the Vanilla Wafer cookies into a plastic sandwich bag and smush into fine crumbs by rolling over it with a rolling pin.  If you don't have a rolling pin, a wine bottle works just fine.  

Now you see cookies.

Now you don't.
Feel free to open the wine and have a sip.
I won't tell.

Take your pie crust and roll out (or unfurl from the package) into a 12 inch circle on a Silpat lined baking sheet. (More or less sizewise- this is a very free form pie.) 

In a bowl, combine the apples, sugar, cinnamon, and flour. Stir gently until everything is coated.

Feel free to sample this also-it's pretty yummy.

To assemble, sprinkle the cookie crumbs in a 9 inch circle in the middle of the flat crust. 
Spoon the apple filling into the center of the crust on top of the cookie crumbs.

Pie crust.
Cookie crumbs.
Apple filling.

Dot the apple filling with the cut up butter pieces. 

Everything is better with butter. 

Fold the edges up over the filling, leaving the center exposed. Try to make pretty pleats and fail.
It doesn't matter. It's tasty no matter what. 

Ready for the oven.


Bake for about 45 minutes.

Voilà!

Now- and this is very important- allow to cool out of the reach of the dog.

Otherwise this is what you will have for your efforts.


Honest. We didn't even get one bite of it.

Also, a reminder:
It's my one year blogiversary and I'm having a little give-away.


Just sign up for email delivery and leave me a comment that you did.

And/or join me on Google+ and -again- leave me a comment that you did.

AND/OR go to the Project Sixty by 60 Facebook page and like it.

Each comment will give you an entry. 

The prize is a $20.00 gift card to Amazon.com  OR- because of a couple of suggestions- a sketch of your choice. I'm pretty good with animals if you have always wanted a sketch of your cat or dog or tarantula.

You have through midnight on Nov. 27 to enter. Get on it. Winner announced on Friday, Nov. 29.


No comments: