22 November 2017

Thank you

Thank you.  


Thursday is Thanksgiving and I have so much to be thankful for.

I came home today to packages. That happens more than you might expect and frequently (but not always)  I am not the one who did the ordering.

This giant package was waiting on my doorstep tonight. 
It's supposed to be an outdoor fireplace- assuming I can put it together. 
Thanks, Cathy! Stargazing will be much warmer now. 

I have mentioned before that there are bears and mountain lions around here. It's true, although they don't camp in the front yard or even show themselves much. Most of my experience has been from seeing them on the game camera.  A couple of times I have seen bears in the road as I'm driving to or from the cabin and Belle saw one down the street this past summer.

A game camera shot from 5 years ago. 

 The neighbor has filmed a mountain lion in the middle of the day on his porch but my contact has only been through the game camera lens.

And another from 4 years ago.

Nevertheless I have seen bear prints recently. One morning last week we had a little snow and while I was walking Carlos I noticed some very large dog prints. Then I realized they weren't dog.  The human looking back foot gave it away... I was walking in the steps of our local bear.  


Last weekend Carlos barked in the middle of the night. Since Carlos barks at the wind, at squirrels and not much else, I didn't even bother to get up.  Whatever was outside wasn't coming in.
The next morning I noticed the gravel in front of the porch was covered in deer hoof prints and  a couple of bear prints.  I feared the mama and baby deer that lounge in the side yard were his targets.



No deer visited for a couple of days and when I did finally have deer, it was just one. A mama. Baby was no where in sight.

Posts of these adventures went on Facebook and dear friend Ann asked if I was being safe while walking Carlos each morning. I assured her I wasn't scared and Carlos had jingly dog tags on and we were fine.

Bear bells for the two of us showed up before week's end.  Lights for Carlos's collar came the next day.  We now sound like Santa and Carlos will be the mysterious alien light that is spotted flitting through the woods.

A bell on my romper and a bell on Carlos's harness. 
The bears will know we are coming so they can get the condiments ready. 

I am tickled that everyone is concerned (Although those packages were addressed to Carlos so I'm pretty sure I know where Ann's loyalties lie...) but truthfully I am more likely to be injured driving to and from work dodging the deer than I am being eaten by wild animals. In Chaffee County (where I work) it is the leading cause of accidents. Between 1986 and 2004, there were 35,302 recorded incidents of vehicle collisions involving wildlife along state and interstate highways just in Colorado.
That's thirty five THOUSAND!!!  


Bunny managed to hit TWO deer in the span of eleven days. 
$4000 in car repairs and one dead buck for this little adventure. 


In the 2000s (17 years now) there have been 27 fatal bear attacks in the United States. That includes Alaska.
So my odds are with being killed by hitting a deer rather than being eaten outside my front door.

In spite of all the odds, good and bad, I'm grateful my friends worry. And care.

And what else am I grateful for?  After a week of just seeing a mama deer, this morning they both were back. Mama and Baby.  I'm not sure if I had a different mama on her own earlier or what. But today I had both of my friends back on the side of the house. All in one piece.

I was so worried about this little one, but today he was back with his mama- all in one piece. 

•••••••••••••••••••••••


I am also thankful for...in no particular order... many many people places and things:

My kids who have had a daunting year yet have come through for me and for each other in ways that I never expected. 

My friends who have fed me, entertained me, helped me pack (thank you Jill), helped me move (thank you Martha), helped me get a job (thanks again Martha)  and pretty much gone above and beyond what I would ever expect.  I am so beyond grateful for each and every one of you. 

My sweet mother who I am sure would prefer that I still live across the street from her rather than 1000 miles away. In spite of the fact that I abandoned her, she has been so supportive. 

My brother who has stepped in to be with mom when I can't, who has helped support me and has had my back. I'm also grateful for his kids who have helped be there for their grandmother. 

The roof (a tiny bit leaky) over my head and the view out my window. Wow. I'm really grateful for where I live.

My job where I literally work with the nicest people ever. 

My neighbors who also feed me, help me with projects, babysit Carlos and generally keep me from getting arrested and/or eaten. 

And my friends. Did I mention them? My friends are the BEST.

Happy happy Thanksgiving to all. I hope that you too have many things to be thankful for.  




😘










No comments: