02 June 2013

We Are Not Alone

We Are Not Alone...


I know, I know.  You are thinking aliens.



And while we do have this guy hanging around the house, aliens are not the topic for today.

Instead, my visitor is much smaller and has built her own little house out in the backyard.


We originally noticed a woodpecker hanging out in this dead tree limb, but we figured it was just looking for bugs.


This afternoon I was chatting with Belle by the pool and looked up to see THIS. What an amazing little hole. 


And then I noticed a little eyeball staring back at me.



Well, hello.



What a pretty little red head you have there.






Do you have any babies inside that hole? 





She came in and out a few times, eyeing me all the while.







My National Geographic Field Guide to the Birds of North America identifies this little dear as a female red-bellied woodpecker. Personally I think her head looks redder than her belly but then, National Geographic has not been pounding on my door asking me to name the wildlife.

Now that I know she is there I will be on the lookout for babies.

We have had baby Cardinals and baby Blue Jays but never baby Woodpeckers.
I am so excited.

Stay tuned.





No comments: