05 February 2018

Ms. Handy Man?

Ms. Handy Man? 


At the rate I'm going, I'll be able to take this cabin apart and put it back together all by my lonesome.

The most recent home repair? The back door knob (lever)  was coming off. Easy enough it would seem. I already knew the basics.


 The outside was loose...

 But the inside was dangling.
I know for a fact those screws inside should not be visible.

Undo the set screw, remove the lever, remove the trim, tighten everything up and reverse.


So that's what I did. And guess what?   The door wouldn't lock. It was nice and secure, but it just wouldn't lock. Hmmm.

A quick text to my contractor friend and I had the answer. Look at the online manual.  Ok, that wasn't what I wanted but he also pointed out that some doorknobs require you to assemble them with the key inserted.

I did check the online manual and it was clear as mud. Some vague photos but one pic did show a key inserted. And then it showed the key turned. So was that explaining how to use the key? Or how to install the lock?

Seriously, what do figures A, B, D, E and F mean? 
I have no clue. 


Whatever.  It was getting too dark and too chilly to redo it on Saturday so I risked not having the back door locked. Fortunately the bears are asleep so I was safe.

Sunday I undid the set screw, removed the lever, took off the trim piece, pulled the whole sucker apart and started over WITH the key installed.
Guess what? It worked.


The door needs painting inside and out but at least the doorknob is tight. 

The door knob is secure.
The cabin is secure.
Knowledge is power.

Want to see more projects? Click here and here and here and here. I need Lowe's or Home Depot to sponsor me at this point.


Also... I finished my vanity. It's awesome. That chalk paint can be addictive.  Quick to paint, quick to dry, simple to finish. I'm eyeing a couple of other pieces of furniture for re-do status now.



The finished vanity. 
Isn't it cute? 
(I cropped out the paint splash.)


Love these fan pulls. 
I was hoping they were brass, but no.
After lots of polishing I thought to try the magnet test on them.
The magnet stuck, so not brass.
But still cute. 

Next up?  My office/sewing room. What a disaster.

No comments: