28 April 2015

No. 39: Grow a Vegetable from Scratch AGAIN!

No. 39: Grow a Vegetable from Scratch AGAIN!!!


Last year about this time I attempted to accomplish No. 39: Grow a vegetable from scratch. Planted some seeds and hoped for the best.

The best did not happen.

The seedlings withered and dilly-dallied and did everything but grow. And then they up and died.
A very unsuccessful challenge.

But it's Spring again and I'm running out of time so here I am at vegetables again.

This time I am trying potatoes. Got a big patch of really good earth behind a rock in the garden. So somewhat hidden from my view but easily accessible with the water hose. I've got the starter potatoes and they will go into the ground tomorrow.   Cross your fingers.


 I'm also going to try tomatoes on the patio along with some peppers. But for now, potatoes.

In other garden news, I have some daffodils up.

 Two varieties this year.

 The poppy is up also and it needs some friends.

 It also needs some weeding....

 The peony -which I was SURE was not going to show- has sprouted.

Doesn't look like much but this year I am convinced there will be flowers. 
Maybe.

 There are tulips waiting in the wings along with another as yet unknown group of bulbs that have foliage but no blooms yet. Part of the 200 pack of bulbs I planted last fall. Once again, I forgot to label what went where.


 The little volunteer grape hyacinths have come up too. Last year I was weeding and realized..oops!... those weren't weeds, they were tiny bulbs. Fortunately plenty survived.


Not only have they survived, they have naturalized. These are popping up in the grass. And from the looks of the grass, I need to invite Martha and Maizie over.  They are the neighboring goats and always in search of a meal. 


And the grass is in search of a haircut!

Happy Spring everyone.

No comments: